An Interview with Shelby Alexander Griggs of GALS Inspired Group



Shelby Alexander Griggs

www.shelbyagriggs.com


A Mother's Cry is committed to sharing the stories of mothers from all ethnic, racial and socioeconomic backgrounds. 

Today, we're happy to share a recent interview with Shelby Alexander Griggs. She is a coach, speaker, and author and shares her journey with AMC.


How many children do you have? What are their ages? 

I have two children. My son is 26 years old and my daughter is 10 years old. She’ll be 11 years old this December. I know! People’s mouths usually drop when they hear that. My daughter was not only my miracle but my rainbow baby.

Did becoming a Mother impact your life goals or dreams? If so, how? 

I would say not with my son. He actually inspired me. I had my daughter late in life and when she came, I had actually republished my first book and was about to launch my speaking career. Becoming pregnant at 42 years old, made me high risk so I had to put a lot on hold. I will say that they both motivated me to live out my dreams of inspiring and motivating people.

What is your current Occupation?

 I’m a motivational speaker and life coach.

How has Motherhood impacted you Emotionally? Spiritually? 

I’ve gone through so much to have them. My daughter came after six miscarriages and I had given up on having any more children. The story of how she came to be could make anyone believe that miracles do happen!

Did you always want to be a Mother? Why or why not? 

Oh yes! I always wanted to be a mom. I just wanted to start my family later in life. The opposite ended up happening. I had my sons in my twenties.

Are you aware of your child(ren)’s Passions? Strengths? Weaknesses? If so, please share one thing that you do to encourage them in pursuing their Passions? 

Both of my kids are creative. They have many talents and love them all. I’m their biggest cheerleader and I want them to know that I will always be there to support them. I encourage them every day to follow their dreams. Whenever my daughter makes up choreography, she wants to perform it for me. I become an audience of one and I’m yelling and cheering for her as though it was a real performance. If my son is creating a rap, he runs it by me too. He wants my input about how profound his lyrics are. I feel that pouring into them with positive messages is only part of it. I must be present at all times.

If your child(ren) were asked, would they say that they feel heard by you? 

Honestly, yes. After losing my husband unexpectedly, I seem to be even more laser focused on my kids. Whenever they have problem, or just want to talk, they come to me. My husband and I created an environment for our children that no topic was off limits. They could come to us talk about any and everything. We often had what we called family convos. I continued that tradition after my husband passed away.

What is one thing that you do just for you? How often? 

I have to be intentional about doing things for myself. I’m either going to the spa or having brunch with my Besties.

As a Mother, what is your greatest fear?

I would say my greatest fear is that my children will settle for status quo. I don’t want them to waste their lives doing things they don’t want to do or doing things that won’t further their growth.

What is your greatest source of joy? 

My greatest joy as a mom is that both of my kids are kind and generous souls. Most of all, they know and love Jesus! I don’t worry about them because I know that they have a moral compass that will guide them to make the best decisions for themselves.

“A.M.C.” is not just about Mothers crying tears. It is about her being a Voice that speaks (cries) her true self. Do YOU consider yourself to be a Voice? 

I’ve done some real work to get me to a place of peace and wisdom. I do feel as though I’m a voice to many. I’ve been through so much in my life, I believe I can connect with so many people on just about anything.

Did/does your relationship with your Mother impact how you “Mother” your children? 

My mother was always there to give advice. As I became an adult and then a new mom, she was always there to give her words of wisdom. Ultimately, I developed into a different type of mother. My kids were not like me and the times definitely changed. 

I often say that Motherhood is a Gift and Ministry all its own. Do you agree or disagree? 

Oh yes! I agree totally. I feel like it’s a role that is never done and you’re always having to be careful about what you say and how you direct your kids. My daughter would be the first to find any contradictions if there are any!

Do you find it difficult to allow your children to pursue new interests, and forge their own paths? 

No, not at all. I think that is how different I am from my parents. They wanted me to take the safe, consistent route. I get that. They were from a different era. I support my children following their dreams. However, I do talk to them about having a plan.

As “A Mother’s Cry” continues to grow and expand in our plans to empower and inspire Mothers, what is one thing that you would recommend for us?

I would say keep sharing the stories of mothers. We all can relate in some way and can be inspired by the fact that we are not alone.


If you are interested in staying in touch with us, feel free to connect with us via the following Social Media Outlets:

G-MAIL: AMCJami@gmail.com

INSTAGRAM: www.instagram.com/amotherscry_jg

TWITTER: www.twitter.com/AMothersCry_JG

FACEBOOK: www.facebook.com/AMotherCry/AMC


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Carrying the Promise

Honoring Our Elders

August ~ Novel Emergence with Divine Purpose